We help aspiring retailers just like you go from conceptual to sustainable! The Orange County Inland Empire SBDC’s Brick by Brick program is designed to help you through all aspects of starting a vibrant retail business. We help you identify and put in place the key foundational building blocks that will create a solid business model prior to launching.
Program Dates and Time
– 4 Weeks | Tuesdays | 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM | Indio Grand Marketplace
About the Instructor
Karie Armstrong, SCSM (Senior Shopping Center Manager) spent the last 22 years helping retailers, service providers, restaurants and entrepreneurs successfully launch in retail markets. Armstrong worked for some of the nation’s leading shopping center developers in California including Simon Property Group, The Mills Corp., and Centremark, managing financial operations, marketing, finance and leasing. She focuses on empowering business owners to take the right risks, stack the right skills and actions, and get results.
How it Works
By the end of the Brick by Brick Program, you will have:
- Identified your market share
- Created marketing strategies and tactics
- Learned how to integrate ecommerce technology into a static store
- Created your financial projections, COGS and pricing models
- Acquired useful knowledge of the leasing process
- Identified the permits and licenses to build-out and operate your store
- Learned a better understanding of how to hire and train employees
- Learned best practices to operate efficiently
- Learned how to access an appropriate amount of capital in order the sustain past breakeven and into profit.
What You'll Learn
WEEK 1: THE BLUEPRINT, BUILDING YOUR RETAIL BUSINESS
- Planning – SWOT, Goals and Objectives
- Customer Identification – Market Research, Competitive Analysis, Co-Tenancy
- Basic Operations – Naming, DBA, Bank Accounts, Licenses, Permits, CUP, Sales Tax and Resellers License
WEEK 2: BUILDING THE MODEL
- Review of Customer Identification and Market Research – Retail Site Selection Criteria and Lease Negotiation
- Sourcing, Costing and Pricing – COGS, Pricing Methods and Cash Flow
WEEK 3 – INFRASTRUCTURE, TEAM AND BUDGET
- Infrastructure – POS System and Inventory Control, Basic Accounting and Insurance, Additional Licenses
- Building Your Team – Customer Experience, Employee Management and Leadership, Payroll
- Budgeting and Funding – Startup Budget, Operational Budget, Revenue Projections and Funding Sources
WEEK 4 – CREATING A FOLLOWING THAT BUYS
- Creating the Marketing Plan – What, Why, How and How Much (Identifying core markets, tracking, marketing strategies and channels)
About Brick by Brick
Brick by Brick is an exciting, four-week startup program to help aspiring retailers just like you take a concept for a new store and make it a reality! We’ll help you identify your market, build a solid foundation for your new business and share with you the keys to growing your business through a strong following. Your future just popped up, register today to start your business!